Watching the broadcast last night, I was struck by a few things. I’d like to make some observations.
1) For those of you in the viewing area, have you noticed how none of the CofC TV hosts use theme music for their broadcasts? They just put up their logos (which, by the way, are pretty cheesy – just my personal opinion – too much clip art. Don’t you guys have any graphic artists in your assemblies who could design something nice? But I digress…), and there is nothing but silence. Why is this? Since they don’t have the “authority” to play instruments in worship, they also lack the “authority” to have music on their broadcasts? They could use acapella singing if they wanted – anything would be better than that cheesy clip art set to silence.
2) Has anyone noticed that at the start of “A Word from James Oldfield the Lord” it says “Church of Christ”? The “C” is capitalized? Is that a subconscious error on the part of the “Church of Christ” in Reidsville that they know that they are just a regular church like any other? Interesting…
3) James, my friend, you are obviously a knowledgable man, but your broadcast was just dull last night. I guess I missed the hidden camera footage, after all. I’ve been sucked in by the Jerry Springer-esque hidden camera footage! That’s pretty sad – and honestly, that’s the stuff that most folks tune in to see, I think. But even then, I really wanted you to stop talking about what everyone else is doing wrong (in terms of prophecy) and talk about what you stand for.
Now, it finally got interesting when your Seventh Day Adventist caller called in and started arguing with you. You need to be careful with facial expressions, however – I commented to my wife that you looked like a kid in a candy shop while that pastor was talking. I’ll be interested to see what comes of the debate. His name is Dr. Andre Saunders, right? From Ross Street 7th Adventist Church? Interesting…
4) Dr. Saunders, and then the caller on Norm’s broadcast, reminded me of why this blog exists. Both of them fell into every trap that the Church of Christ lays out. The arguments made were the same arguments we hear week after week, and Norm and James and Johnny know how to respond to this like they know the back of their hands. I’m going to start a discussion of what arguments folks SHOULDN’T make when they call into these programs, because our callers last night made quite a few of these.
5) And again, I say that Norm Fields is the most dangerous of all of these men. He’s the best-spoken of the three, and he’s got a rationality about him that makes you watch and just wonder how he can possibly believe some of the things he is teaching.
6) I thought one caller last night hit the nail on the head, and made a pretty compelling argument for the “authority” to talk about our need to have Jesus in our heart. He quoted Romans 10:8-11, which says:
“But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, [even] in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach;
That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.
For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.”
Pretty good citation of Scripture! I didn’t think Norm answered it well, at all. Bravo, caller! Bravo!
Looks like we’re possibly in for another debate on January 17! Check back here for viewer’s thoughts and comments! Will the Church of Christ be victorious this time? They struck out on their last two debates with the Presbyterians and Mr. Deloa – will they do better with Dr. Saunders?